Sunday, June 26, 2011

Summer Storms and Flying Bugs

It's been an eventful 48 hours for sure! Seeing family down south, catching frogs with the kids, braving evil swans to relax under a shady tree with a good book (or in my case a technical manual), meeting Mr. Biddles and hanging out with Jennifer, seeing some cool new bands at Blueberry Hill, shooting the Frontrunners PRIDE 5k, a big summer storm.

I might be leaving a few things out, but I'm in need of a nap, so you'll have to forgive me.

Here are a few of the photos I caught yesterday as the storm rolled past my neck of the woods and into the metro area.

The worst of it overhead...

Moving away from southern Ofallon and into the STL area.

So today the ground was muddy and the kids were crabby. I decided that my office needed some serious cheer. What's better than some wildflowers? Ok, I know they aren't really wildflowers. Just weeds. But pretty weeds. And we have a field of them right here. So into our hiking gear and out the door. Alex with his endless energy and his bug net, Morgan with her scissors and her fear of bugs.

We saw plenty of bugs.




Queen Ann's Lace has always been a favorite of mine. I can remember being tiny at my Nani's house and begging to pick some and bring it in. She would always tell me that it was just a weed. I'd insist on calling it a flower and she would always let me pick a few and bring them inside. Into a cup and onto the window sill they would go and I'd be a happy camper indeed.

I haven't outgrown my love of this pretty plant.





There were other flowers/weeds to choose from...






This was a fun catch for me. This thistle was about 4 or 5 yards away. I could see the bumble bee on it and I wanted to try to catch him, but it turns out that he was camera shy, so I only caught him flying away. Still, not bad for so far away!



We ended up with some lovely flowers for the house and my office.



I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings...

No comments:

Post a Comment