Saturday, June 4, 2011

The importance of backing up...

2 years ago my entire desktop system crashed, taking out a hard drive in the process. To this day I am still grateful that I followed the photographers rule of always backing up your photos. After every session, I burn not only the edited photos, but the raw photos as well. Yes, even the one where you are sneezing and have that Popeye thing going on. It was wonderful that no images were lost.

I lost everything else. Photoshop actions, graphics, fonts, and templates. I still mourn the loss of a few of the actions that I created. They were wonderful actions and took me FOREVER to create. Who has time to sit down and try to figure that out again?!? Not this photographer for sure!

These days I have several external hard drives. And I back up EVERYTHING. Actions, fonts, photos, invoices, order histories. My master hard drive never leaves my hands. I have a few older ones that I'll hand out to my corporate clients when I need to give them a ton of images.

I just wanted to make sure that everyone know how important it is to back up everything. Computers can be unpredictable and you know how the saying goes, you never know what you've got til it's gone!

Tomorrow I will be at the St. Charles Bridal Show. From 11-4 only. I'll also announce the "summer specials" here later today. might as well roll them out now that we have skipped Spring and rolled right into a knock out STL Summer!

Check back later today for some great deals!

~Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment